Kishore Vaigyanik Protsahan Yojana 2020: The Department of Science and Technology has initiated the fellowship program “Kishore Vaigyanik Protsahan Yojana” (KVPY). The program was instigated in the year 1999 by DST, Govt. of India.
The primary objective of the scheme is to encourage talented students to take a research career in science.
Applications are invited from the students of class XI to 1st year Degree (From Basic Science Background).
Shortlisted candidates will get a monthly stipend of Rs. 5000/- to 7000/- and an annual contingency grant of Rs. 20,000/- to 28,000/-.
Interested candidates can go through the detailed notification in the below sections.
Kishore Vaigyanik Protsahan Yojana (KVPY) 2020
The fellowship program “Kishore Vaigyanik Protsahan Yojana” is organized and funded by the Govt. of India under the “Department of Science & Technology“.
The application process for the KVPY starts in the month of July every year.
The students who are studying in Class 11, Class 12 and 1st year Degree (Science Background) are eligible to apply for the scheme.
KVPY Important Details
|Launched by||Department of Science and Technology, Govt. of India|
|Fellowship Name||Kishore Vaigyanik Protsahan Yojana|
|Conducting Board||Indian Institute of Science, Bangalore|
|Eligiblity||Class XI, XII, and 1st Year Degree|
|Eligible Streams||B. Sc., B.S., B.Stats., B.Math, Integrated M.Sc., M.S.|
|Monthly Stipend||Rs. 5000/- to Rs. 7000/-|
|Annual Contingency Grant||Rs. 20,000/- to Rs. 28,000/-|
|Mode of Exam||Online|
|Exam Language||English, Hindi|
|Application Fee||Rs. 1000/- for General Category|
Rs. 500/- for SC, ST, and PWD students
|Online Applications Start Date||July 2020|
|Last Date for the Application Submission||August 2020|
|Release of Admit Cards||October 2020|
|Date of KVPY Examination (Aptitude)||November 2020|
|Release of Results||December 2020|
|Date of Interview (Final Round)||January 2021|
Check out the detailed eligibility factors to apply for the scheme.
- The applicant must be pursuing Class XI or Class XII or 1st year of any degree courses from a basic science background
- The following are the eligible streams of undergraduate courses
- Integrated M.S., M.Sc. in Mathematics, Physics, Chemistry & Biology
- The candidate must belong to India
There are a few other eligible factors based on the class. Below are those.
The applications are categorized into three streams based on the class of the students.
|Class XI Applicants||SA|
|1st Year Degree||SB|
Now, let us see the individual eligibility factors.
Eligibility for SA Category (Class XI):
- The SA Category applicants must score at least 75% marks in Class X (Maths & Science Subjects combined).
- 10% Relaxation is given for SC, ST & PWD Candidates. So, they must score 65% marks.
- The candidate has to pursue 11th standard with science subjects
- The fellowship period starts when you join Degree course in science background
- Must pass the 12th standard with 60% marks in 12th standard (50% for SC, ST, and PWD candidates)
Note: The students who got selected in this stream will get fellowship only when they join the UG course in a science background.
Eligibility for SX Category (Class XII):
- The students pursuing 12th standard in the basic sciences (Physics, Chemistry, Biology, Mathematics) are eligible to apply
- Must have secured at least 75% marks in 10th standard (The aggregate of Physics, Chemistry, Biology, and Maths)
- 10% relaxation for SC, ST, and PWD Candidates (They must get 65% marks)
- The KVPY scholarship activates when the selected student joins the degree course from science stream
- So, candidates should score 60% marks (50% in the case of SC, ST, PWD) in the 12th final exam.
Eligibility for SB Category (1st Year Degree):
- The applicants should be admitted in the 1st year degree course ( B.Sc., B.S., B.Stats., B.Math.)
- The students pursuing Integrated M.S. & M.Sc. courses are also eligible to apply
- Must pass the 12th class with minimum 60% marks (50% for SC, ST, and PWD Candidates)
KVPY Exam Pattern
The applications are filtered by conducting two rounds.
- Aptitude Test
All the applicants are called for the aptitude test, which is the first level examination.
Language: English & Hindi
Locations: Conducted at over 50+ centers across the country
Syllabus: All the questions are from Physics, Chemistry, Biology, and Mathematics. Check the KVPY Syllabus for more information.
The shortlisted candidates are invited for the final round of the selection process.
The performance in the 1st and 2nd rounds is considered to shortlist the candidates.
|Stream||Monthly Stipend||Annual Contingency Grant|
|SA, SX, SB|
During 1st year to 3rd year of Degree
(B. Sc., B.S., B.Stats., B.Math, Int. M.Sc./ M.S.)
|Rs. 5,000/- per month||Rs. 20,000/- per year|
|SA, SX, SB|
For 4th & 5th year of Integrated M.Sc. & M.S. courses)
|Rs. 7,000/- per month||Rs. 28,000/- per Year|
FAQ on Kishore Vaigyanik Protsahan Yojana
Ans: No, the applications are invited through the online platform only. Fill the application form on the official website.
Ans: The notification, application form, and the results are available at the official portal of KVPY www.kvpy.iisc.ernet.in.
Ans: The fee for SC, ST, and PWD candidates is Rs. 500/-. For all the other candidates the fee is Rs. 1000/-.
Ans: The notification for KVPY is expected to be released in the month of June/July. But, due to the COVID-19 outbreak in the country, the date was postponed. So, candidates have to wait for a few more days to get it.
KVPY Helpline Numbers:
For Application Related Queries Contact: 080-22932975/ 76, 080-23601008
Email ID: firstname.lastname@example.org
Timings: 10:00 am to 5:00 pm